All Water Heaters
- Water heater drain pan installed on all water heaters installed inside the house.
- Must be in a 1 ½” deep pan with a ¾” drain line to outside or an approved receptor.
- If installed in garages or attics must have the water pipes insulated.
- Must be elevated 18” off garage floor.
- Pressure relief valve (T&P) discharge pipe shall discharge outside 6” above ground of floor level or in an approved indirect waste receptor. If pipe cannot drain to the outside, a WAGS valve is recommended but not required.
- Cut off valve on cold water pipe to water heater to shut off water.
- Cold-water electric ground wire and clamp secured to pipe ahead of shut off valve.
- Unions on water connections, inlet, outlet and pressure relief discharge lines.
Gas Water Heaters
- Upper and lower combustion air must be installed when a water heater is installed in a closet. Combustion air is required to be 100 square inches upper and lower.
- Must have 1” clearance on type B water heater vent from all combustible materials and observe manufactures specifications.
- Gas stop must be of ball valve type and must be able to shut off by hand.
- Maximum length of flex gas pipe is 36” and minimum of ½” size.
Building Inspection Department
3901 Main Street
For any other questions please call 972 412-6125