If you have specific inspection questions during the installation process, you may contact one of our building inspectors at 469.429.4781. The inspectors are generally available Monday-Friday from 7:30-8:30 a.m. and from 3:30-4:30 p.m.
1. Location Access and Working Space (not shown) Gas water heaters prohibited in bathroom or bedroom. Working space: 30 inches x 30 inches. Attic Location: Permanent ladder or stairs required. 30 inches walkway required with 30 inches x 22 inches access door. Water heater must be within 20 feet of access door. Exterior location: Water heaters must be protected from the elements and must be accessible from a minimum 24 inch wide door.
2. 18 inch stand Required when water heater is installed in a garage.
3. Corrosion Resistance Pan Required when installed in interior of residence. Corrosion resistant ¾-inch minimum drain line required to discharge at a visible location: exterior above grade, floor sink, mop sink.
4. Shutoff Valve A shutoff valve is required on the cold water supply and shall be readily accessible.
5. Pipe Insulation Pipe insulation is required on first 5 feet of hot and cold water pipe and to within 6 inches of draft hood.
6. Temperature & Pressure (T&P) Relief A temperature and pressure relief valve is required. ¾ inch minimum copper or 1 inch minimum CPVC drain line must run with fall to approved locations.
7. Combustion Air (Gas Water Heaters Only – not shown) Where located in a confined space (less than 50 cubic feet of area for each 1000 BTU input rating of water heater) a high and low combustion air opening must be provided within 12 inches of the top and bottom of the enclosure.
8. Vent (Gas Water Heaters Only) A double wall (type B) vent must be provided with a min. 1 inch to combustibles. Minimum 5 feet vertical required between vent collar and vent cap. Vent may have offsets of up to 45 degrees and one offset of up to 60 degrees. Vent must terminate in a listed vent cap. Cannot screw type “B” vents unless approved by manufacturer.
9. Vent Connector(Gas Water Heaters Only) Single wall vent connector is allowed to connect water heater to its vent. Vent connector must be exposed and cannot run into or through concealed construction. Minimum 6 inch clearance to combustibles. Minimum pitch ¼ inch per foot. Connector and single wall pipe may be screwed with maximum size 7/16 inch screws.
10. Gas Connector (Gas Water Heaters Only) Accessible and approved valve with maximum 6 feet of flex connector. Connector and valve must not be concealed. Assembly shall have drip leg / sediment trap after valve.
11. Tankless Water Heaters (not shown) Follow manufacturer installation instructions and comply with International Fuel Gas Code for gas line size and vent. A gas load calculation shall be provided on the jobsite when calling the first inspection.
12. Cold Water Ground (not shown) Tighten cold water ground if applicable.
3815-B Sachse Road, Sachse, Texas 75048 Phone: (469) 429-4781 Fax: (972) 675-9812